My BFF Lu. and I have often discussed some of the best/ideal songs to sing for karaoke**. I always go back and fourth and have a few rules:
- length of song
- vocal pitch of the artist
- crowd familiarity of material
- something fun
Here’s a list of songs(/epic fails) that made me impliment the aforementioned list of rules:
- “The Joker” by Steve Miller Band (while familiar to most, terribly slow & boring)
- “Total Eclipse of the Heart” by Bonnie Tyler (epically long which leaves you feeling awkward & everyone else bored)
- “Living on a Prayer” by Bon Jovi (besides the chorus, who cares?)
- “Jessie’s Girl” by Rick Springfield (again besides the chorus, a totally lacking song. And the word “moot” is used not “mute” like I had previously thought, which caused me to stop and question the idea out loud mid-note)
- “Before He Cheats” by Carrie Underwood (the vocal range is really not for novices and seriously, who cares about Carrie Underwood? We all make bad life choices….)
After completely ruling out the above songs and lots of other songs that besides my group of friends, no one would know. There’s really nothing worse than someone singing some obscure song from the 1980’s. I think I’ve finally come up with a song that is perfect for me:
“I Feel the Earth Move” by Carol King
…. microphone please!
** I am not an avid karaoke singer, despite how this might look. I’ve done it like 3 times and one night I did like 4 of the above songs in one night, thanks Atlantic City, you sure know how to booze a broad up!