So more and more recently it seems I say the most absurd things. This is nothing new but I decided it needs to be well documented so we never forget. Note, these things happen drunk and sober, which just goes to prove my overall absurdity level is through the roof.
The following things have happened in recent times and show that I no tolerance for numbers. Which seemingly dates back to the first grade when I had to use a clock to help me count (sidenote, I couldn’t actually tell time just used it for simple math. I learned how to read a clock properly somewhere around the 3rd or 4th grade) In any case, please regard my lack of consideration for the importance of numbers.
- A few months ago at a party in New Brunswick, we’re all having a great time dancing the night away in our friends attic to some great tunes. I found myself wandering over towards the window, and I look out to see flashing lights (lights, lights). I see a few houses down there are two cop cars. I then proceed in a humorous tone to announce to the party “GUYS 4.0’s, 4.0’s!!” …. everyone laughs, but then realizes that “hey Kim, it’s 5.0!” … smooth move neighborhood watch!
- A week ago at a backyard BBQ, I’m hanging out enjoying some good friendship conversation and we found ourselves talking about different drink combinations (black & white’s, snake bites, etc) we then moved on to discuss the great combinations that exist with 40’s. One kid mentioned his love for 1/2 Joose 1/2 Colt 45. I start to say how I’ve done something similar, a brass monkey: 1/2 orange juice and 1/2 COLT 44… Colt 44 Kim? My mind must have been thinking in recession terms, can’t afford the 45 have to opt for the 44.
- This past weekend after a mildly calm night of beer pong and watching some baseball a group of friends and I decided that some take-out from the diner would really hit the spot (and perpetuate Jersey stereotypes on the same token). I offer to be the domesticated broad to take all the orders and call it in. Of course I need someone to find the phone number so I can do so. I start to write the number down as it’s being said to me. I realized have 8 numbers written down, and there’s no area code, I’m automatically confused. Soon enough everyone is announcing the number in a row-row-row your boat round fashion and I’m even more confused then I originally thought. I had to have the whole room silent and one person giving me the number one at a time. I am hopeless
The following is a list of things I love:
+ my friends
+ my famz
+ Tejas Tuesday
+ all the music on my ipod
+ my bed
+ naps in general
+ driving with the windows down
+ watching tv and hanging out
+ running in holmdel park
+ things that make you say “it’s such a small world”
+ kindness in strangers
+ keyboard cat
+ laying on the beach with a summer breeze
+ life and/or being alive
So when you live on the lovely East coast you get the thrill of all four seasons, which to me is why I’m so partial to this side of the country. Switch it up a little, change is ok! Although I always complain about changing my closet from long sleeves and sweaters over to tank top and dresses, it’s worth the change. I’ve come up with a list, (it’s rolling and by no means complete) of why summer gives everyone great feelings…
+ The sun is out a significant amount of the time (which is proven to increase good feeling chemicals in your head, sold)
+ Flip flops are the best footwear and can be worn both formally and informally
+ Although the above item is awesome, being barefoot is too. If you try hard enough you can spend about 70% of the summer barefoot
+ Drinking is exponentially more enjoyable. I need to break this down into specifics:
* Gin & Tonics are the most refreshing drink, and arguably only fair game in the summer season
* Some of the best varieties of beer are of the summer persuasion (IE. Sam Adams, Brooklyn, etc)
* Drinking outside is a much better scene. Nothing like a nice outdoor game of Beirut or sitting on a back deck. Or dare I say by the light of tiki torches
+ Certain bands are so much better in the summer, cruisin down the road with the windows down
* I usually want to listen to way more bands like Rancid, The Clash, New Found Glory and of course Bruce Springsteen
* Specific genres are way more exciting, like the oldies. Beach Boys, Led Zeppelin, CCR, and The Doors
+ The beach is the best place. The sound of the waves alone will make any summer day complete. Added bonus: volleyball, kites, wawa sandwiches you get on the way, reading a book or just snoozin in the sun
+ Pools are great. Just float around on a raft or perhaps even swim some laps. Pools can be entertainment or just be there to look pretty. Works for me
+ Two above items bring me to bathing suits, you can literally wear bathing suits all day every day in the summer. By themselves or under various types of clothing
+ Which leads me to the fact that summer attire is awesome, because almost anything goes. The easiest and best solution to day to day fashion is of course the dress. You can also just throw on leggins and a tshirt or tank top. Or shorts & a T-shirt. It’s really easy to dress down or up any summer fashion
+ Outside in general everything is better. You can’t sit outside and read a book in the winter, or check your email and surf the internet waves. Any indoor activity is typically fair game to be brought outside in the summer, and usually much more enjoyable
+ Baseball (sometimes interchangeable with Wiffle ball). Baseball is great to watch on TV or live. Grab a beer or 6 and just kick back, you’re an American it’s the number one pastime! Baseball is also great to play, so swing that bat and run those bases.
+ Thunderstorms. How cool are thunderstorms, nature really comes through on this one. It’s a bummer if it ruins your plans but if you can enjoy it and sit on your porch and just listen to the rain and watch the lightening it rules.
+ Ice cream or more specifically Rita’s ice. I’m bias because I’m not huge ice/ice cream fan, but in the summer it’s so good. Sometimes when the mood strikes you and the craving is satisfied by a kohr’s ice cream cone or a Rita’s gelati, life is good.
+ The boardwalk (indigenous to the New Jersey region and maybe Maryland) I will contest this territory as the best and worst place on earth, doesn’t matter which boardwalk they’re all the same. Some of the best comfort foods on earth, arcade games (namely skeeball), and great pastimes like mini golf. There are rides, which if you’re in the mood for some old school kid fun (and perhaps into risking your life) you’re all set. Jump on that tilt-a-whirl and let out a “woo!” or two. My all time number reason of why the boardwalk is the best: people watching. Grab a bench (and maybe some cheese fries) and watch as the most interesting creatures that inhabit this earth walk by you. Not to mention the glorious off shore breeze gracing your presence.
God bless the summertime, because the living is easy. Even if you have a job, this time of year is still more enjoyable because you know when you bust down the door to your nine to five you have all the above things to look forward to. Not cold and snow and darkness. But rather warm sun and fun!
So I implore you this glorious summer season to live it to it’s fullest. Get out there grab a marg, sit pool side in your summer dress and watch some people play baseball!